Monday, March 12, 2012

Adios to Boxed Baby Cereal

Blah.
That's what I think of boxed baby cereals.
Even when I was feeding rice cereal to my son when he was a baby I thought the same thing. But had NO IDEA that I could actually make it.
And that it would be super easy.
And actually taste good!
Now that I know better, no more boxed cereals! Olivia is getting the good stuff.

So here it is:

1) Make up a batch of rice powder by grinding brown rice in a food processor, blender or I used a cheap coffee grinder that I use just for this purpose. Store rice powder in an air-tight container.

2) Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a pot. Add 1/4 cup rice powder to the water. Stir vigorously to break up lumps and turn down to low. Simmer for 10+ minutes or until rice is super soft.

3)For babies starting out:
Add breast milk or formula
For older babies:
Add fruit or veggie purée or a pinch of spice like cinnamon or nutmeg
For toddlers:
Add milk, honey or sucunat or sugar and some spice

It is SUPER yummy. Just like cream of rice/wheat.

Trouble-shooting:
Since all machines are different and may grind to different finenesses (if that's even a word!) you may need to cook a little longer or add a bit more water. I did.

Storage:
Cooked rice cereal can last a few days in the fridge and can even be frozen using the ice cube tray method. Just remember freezing can change the texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment