Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Temper Tantrums and Dinosaurs

This morning we had a very unfortunate event...dun, dun, DUN...
A tantrum.
In the library.
People watching.
Gulp.
It started out with wanting to use the big kid computers and when his way was not to be had, my less-than-two-year-old...Lost. It.
My precious. My angel. My smartie. My "always such a good boy" threw a fit.
I was embarrassed.
But I remembered my wise neighbor tell me once that tantrums (though not acceptable behavior) is a natural part of development. And this is the quote I repeat over and over in my head, "There's not something wrong if he throws a fit. I would worry if he never threw a fit."
Whew.
So I'm not a bad mother, it's just part of a being a little person learning to deal with big feelings. But it's still not appropriate behavior.
So I put on my big girl pants and said, "We don't throw fits in the library." And we left.
We he calmed down, we talked about it. And he said (heart melt) "I'm sorry I throw a fit, Mommy."
Being a parent is definitely not for wimps. I've felt a little stressed since The Event but I picked up this book for Olivia's nap time story and it made me laugh: "No T-Rex in the Library" by Toni Buzzeo
How appropriate.
It's about a little girl, Tess, who gets in trouble for her "beastie behavior" at the library. She unleashes a dinosaur from the pages of a book and sees just what her own naughty behavior looked like!
I'll be reading this to my little T-Rex before we go to the library again!

2 comments:

  1. You know I'll totally be calling you when this happens to me... b/c since Livie will be 8 mos older, you'll no doubt have dealt with a female fit when I have to deal with it... and you can remind me of that phrase... I don't handle tantrums well. Add loving the kid who's doing it AND the drop in pride when it's MY kid who's doing it... yeah, I'll need some help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, not my perfectly behaved grandson?! How can that be? It sounds as if you handled that tricky situation perfectly. Isn't it comforting to know that it will never happen again? ha
    Heather always claimed that kids act more like terrible twos before they turn two. So, that is good news. I love you both! hugs to the little boy.

    ReplyDelete