Thursday, February 2, 2012

How To Make Yogurt in the Crockpot

I adore homemade yogurt.
I started making it when Carson was eating his first foods because YoBaby seemed kind of pricey.
And I just never quit! We love it with a drizzle of honey and some berries and nuts sprinkled over the top.

It's not work but there is some waiting involved. But I PROMISE it's well worth it. Read the back of your yogurt label. Even good quality yogurt has some weird stuff added in. Know that your yogurt will contain only milk and cultures once you get started!

What you need:
1/2 c. plain yogurt that says it contains live active cultures (good quality like Stonyfield Farms and after your first batch save 1/2 cup of your homemade yogurt to be the starter)
1/2 gallon WHOLE milk

How you make it:
1. Cook milk on low in your crockpot for 2 1/2 hours.
2. Then unplug and let the milk cool down for 3 hours.
3. Next take out a cup or so of milk from the crock and mix in your yogurt in a separate bowl.
4. Return yogurt/milk mixture back to the crock and stir.
5. Cover unplugged crockpot with two thick towels and leave overnight.

How to make it thicken up:
1. In the morning, you the milk should have thickened up. To make a Greek-style yogurt line a stainer with coffee filters or an ultra-thin dish cloth and place over a large bowl.
2. Put it in the fridge and leave until the following morning.

Here's my yogurt making schedule:
Monday at 4:30: I put the milk in the crockpot.
Just before dinner at 7: I unplug it.
Right before bed at 10: I add in the yogurt and cover with towels.
Tuesday around 9 or 10 I pour the yogurt into the straining bowl and stick it in the fridge.
Wednesday: Enjoy! And for us, a batch lasts until the next Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment