Monday, April 23, 2012

A Caterpillar Named Chrysalis

Something has been eating the turnips in my garden.
And I caught him red-handed...or rather brown footed: a scrubby-looking little caterpillar.
Lucky for him, our unit has been on butterflies so he now resides in our house and we spoil him rotten.
I got the idea for growing a caterpillar into a butterfly here:
http://learningdevelopmentactivities.blogspot.com/2012/03/caterpillar-to-butterfly.html?m=1
There are kits you can buy but this is the frugal way to do it. The trick is knowing what kind of caterpillar you have because they are very picky eaters and often starve if not fed the right foods.
Luckily for him (unlikely for me) know EXACTLY what he eats: turnip greens, broccoli, radishes...pretty much everything in my garden.
And now for the name:
I asked Carson what he would like to name his caterpillar...Thomas? Elmo? Freddie?
He thought about it..
"Caterpillar name is...Chrysalis."
Ok.
THAT won't be confusing.
But you gotta admire this kiddo's love for words.
Here's Chrysalis, our fat little Variegated Cutworm (he's actually going to be a moth not a butterfly):

No comments:

Post a Comment